A group of tea lovers at a Tea Masterclass at the Chesterfield Hotel, London.
At the World Tea Awards ceremony on 31st May 2014 on board The Queen Mary in Long Beach, California, JANE received Best Educator Award.
Two of her books were also nominated for Best New Tea Book Award - A Social History of Tea (co-authored with Bruce Richardson) and The Tea Sommelier Handbook in Spanish and English (co-authored wuth Victoria Bisogno).
Have you ever wondered how the tea in your everyday cuppa gets from the plantation to your cup? Can you tell a Darjeeling from a Ceylon, an oolong from a white? Do you know why they're different? Come to a tea masterclass and find out more! Jane teaches regular classes with tea taster Tim Clifton.
The day course runs from 9.15am to 5.30pm and includes a wide variety of colour images, a short piece of video footage showing tea production and covers the following topics:
- The history of tea in Britain
- What is Tea, how and where does the plant grow
- Why all teas are different, etc
- The manufacture of black, green, yellow, white, oolong, pu'erh and flavoured teas
- Tasting teas from each of those categories
- How the tea gets from the plantation to the cup
- What's available
- Loose tea & tea bags - different types, advantages & disadvantages
- Perfect brewing and different ways to brew
- Tea and health
The cost for the day is £198 and includes:
- Tea through the day
- Afternoon tea with cakes, scones, clotted cream and jam
- A copy of Jane's book TEA CLASSIFIED (VOTED BEST NEW PUBLICATION 2009 BY WORLD TEA EXPO)
- Various useful handouts with information about suppliers, table wares, tea and health
- A certificate of attendance
To book a Tea Masterclass, please visit the booking page by clicking here.
We regret that we are unable to refund payments for cancellations received less than 48 hours prior to a class taking place. We would like to make it clear that in the case of cancellation after payment, a 6% charge will be deducted from refunds to cover administration costs
Most of our classes are held at:
The Chesterfield Mayfair, (Map)
35 Charles Street
The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel offers special rates to anyone attending the Tea Masterclass. The hotel offers the best available rate, and if Masterclass attendees choose to stay for 2 nights, they will be offered a complimentary Afternoon Tea. Contact: Bryony Salmon email@example.com
Comments from some of those who have attended
"Thank you for delivering such a terrific Masterclass - it was a perfect balance between theoretical and the practical and it was beautifully rounded off by a sumptuous afternoon tea."
"We would like to thank you and Tim for the excellent class on Saturday. Such a relaxed attitude, perfect timing and an absolutely thrilling experience. I would certainly recommend your course to anyone."
"I enjoyed the class so much. I was impressed with how much information you pack into such a short time and yet it's so much fun."
We regret that we are unable to refund payments for cancellations received less than 48 hours prior to a class taking place.
We would also like to make it clear that, in the case of cancellation after payment, a 6% charge wll be deducted from refunds to cover administration costs.
As one of the principal tea tasters and previously Chairman of one of London's leading tea brokers, Tim has a vast knowledge of teas, tea plantations and factories in many parts of the world. He has also, over the years, been a Director of the United Kingdom Tea Council, Vice Chairman of the International Tea Committee, and Chairman of Tea Brokers Central Africa. He now works as consultant to various tea businesses around the world, including Tregothnan Tea Estate in Cornwall.
From owning her own teashop in London in the 1980s, Jane has gone on to write 15 books on various aspects of tea and worked for 6 years as Editor of Tea International, journal to the Tea Trade. She has also acted as consultant to and trained staff in five star hotels and tea rooms in Britain, the USA, Russia and Italy. She speaks at conferences around the world on different tea related topics, and works on several projects with the United Kingdom Tea Council. She has appeared regularly on television and radio.
Forthcoming Masterclasses and events:
PLACES AT EACH CLASS FILL QUICKLY SO TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT, PLEASE BOOK IN PLENTY OF TIME.
- 07th of February, 2015, Tea Masterclass (Chesterfield Hotel, London)
- 06th of March, 2015, Tea Masterclass (The Chesterfield Hotel, London)
9.15am lasting 8 hours
Tea Masterclass and afternoon tea
- 22nd of May, 2015, Tea Masterclass (The Chesterfield Hotel, London)
- 13th of June, 2015, Tea Masterclass (The Chesterfield Hotel, London)
- Price: £7.99
- Publisher: The National Trust
A selection of traditional recipes for breads, tea breads, scones, biscuits, gingerbreads, and tray bakes taken from the larger National Trust collection, Traditional Tea-Time Recipes.
- Buy this book: Visit Amazon UK to purchase a copy